Thursday, August 12, 2010

Episode 30 Better Late Than Never

Hey all-

Sorry for the delay in getting a show out.   As you'll hear in the show, my wife passed away after a 3 1/2 year battle with lung cancer.  She never smoked or was exposed to second hand smoke which makes this even more tragic.  While the kids and I are doing OK I felt it was important to share what happened and provide a way for people to help so that others might have a better chance of surviving this terrible disease.  For those interested in helping I am adding a link to the American Lung Association both here (http://www.lungusa.org/donate/) and in the list of links on the left. Please make a donation to help stop lung cancer.

You are also probably noticing that the show website has gone through some rennovation. I've changed the look and feel of the website to hopefully make it more attractive and easier to use. Key changes are:

1) A RSS link to my "my.lotro" blog (http://my.lotro.com/alberich/) where I am trying to put out a new post about my experience in the game every Monday. This list will automatically update every time I post which is cool.

2) I have split all the links and polls into two columns. The Left hand side of the website will contain links more specific to my experiences in LOTRO and what I'm doing (this includes the my.lotro blog mentioned above). The right hand side will be more show specific with the polls, podcast feeds, archived show notes, etc...

3) To make this more clearly about LOTRO I've changed the header to highlight that LOTROCast is about Middle-Earth and the LOTRO game.

Vote on this week's poll and let me know how you like the new setup.

In this week's show we cover the following:

Recent News and Notes
Lunna the Burg's New Series: The Path of the Fellowship (featuring music by Falthom and the Lonely Mountain Band)
Shire to Bree (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa_DnRUKdhM)
The Road to Rivendell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YmnH34MAOE&feature=related)
Into Khazad-Dum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_iNvb1ixF0)

Turbine F2P Dev Diaries and Beta Journals
Enedwaith Dev Diary (http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/747-developer-diary-enedwaith)
LOTRO Store Beta Journal (http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/feature-articles/757-beta-journals-the-lotro-store)
New Player Experience Beta Journal (http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/feature-articles/760-beta-journals-new-player-experience)
Class Changes Beta Journal (http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/feature-articles/769-beta-journals-class-changes)

What I've Been Doing in Game
* My most recent experience with the Watcher
Check out this link where they show you how to take this monster down (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-EGpQkqrvk&feature=player_embedded)

The Heart of The Show focuses on:
* The Inn League
List of Inn League Member Locations and the Beers/Wines they need:
Edhelion (by Thorin's Gate) needs Dorwinion White from Rivendell
Zigigund (in Forochel) needs Moar Beer from the Prancing Pony in Bree
Brockborings (NE of Hobbiton) needs Stars of Old Cider from the Prancing Pony
Thrasi's Lodge (SE of Gondomon) needs Forsaken Ale from the Forsaken Inn
Aughaire (in Angmar) needs Swill from the Forsaken Inn
Misty Mountains (SE of Goblin Town) needs Beakbreker Ale from Combe
Oatbarton (North of Brockborings) needs Blagrove's Brown from Michel Delving
Ost Haer (in the Lone Lands) needs Thistle Belly Brew from Hobbiton
Echad Candelleth (in the Trollshaws) needs Brandy Wine from Stock
Thornley's Worksite (NW of Bree) needs Limael's Vintage from Celendom
Othrikar (NW of Esteldin) needs Bombur's Beard from Thorin's Gate

Typically I would by 5-10 of each brew and just make a circuit to each of these every day. 
Route 1:  Edhelion, Thrasi's Lodge
Route 2:  Zigilgund, Oatbarton, Brockborings
Route 3:  Aughaire, Othrikar
* The Halls of Crafting Moria Dungeon
* Developer Diary: Instances 2.0 (Parts 1-3)
Part 1 http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/754-developer-diary-instances-20-part-1-
Part 2 http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/759-developer-diary-instances-20-part-2-
Part 3 http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/764-developer-diary-instances-20-part-3-

Listener Feedback

Hope you like the show

Alberos

18 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts go out to you and your family.
    I don't know how you do it, but we are fortunate indeed that you can still give us great content and news updates.

    Ryzis of Landroval

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alberos, Tang and I are so sorry to hear about your wife. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your kids right now. I can't imagine what you must be going through, and my heart goes out to you.

    ~Lunna and Tangnost

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are truly so sorry to hear about your loss. We cannot imagine what this has been like for you or your family, but we want to say that if there is something that we can do to assist you please let us know. Our thoughts and our prayers are with you.

    Merric

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine what you're going through and my heart goes out to you and your family. Good to hear from you again, but certainly there are more important things then LOTRO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My deepest condolences for your loss, and my greatest appreciation for your continued service to the community. I know that LotROCast is a labor of love, but it can be hard to enjoy such things at times like this. Still, clinging to routine and open discussion can help with healing - as I'm sure you know.

    Hang in there, and know that your listeners, kinmates, and friends, are there for you.

    -Forjo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alberos, im very sorry for your loss, and grieve with you. as a human being, i know how losing a loved one color our lives in shade of grey. As an Oncologist i have personally faced the loss of many patients who, over months or years, had become dear friends.

    We stand behind you, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alberos, I'm very sorry for your loss I have been listening to Lotrocast since the beginning, and I'm so sorry. I will send my prayers out to you and your family and hang in there my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please accept our warmest wishes and support to you and your family during this difficult time. You've given so much to the Lotro community and we have that the same community can rally around you and support you in your time of need.

    Our best.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alberos, Please accept my/our condolences to you and your family, I know how it feels when loosing a loved one from lung cancer, my dad died of it 7 years ago. :(

    PS: Thanks for the plug on your last podcast for our kin, Bad Moon Rising and keep up the great work matey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alberos,

    I've written and erased about 10 different things trying to think of the right thing to say, but there never is a right thing to say. I'm sure you're used to people trying to put word to their wish to support you and your children through this difficult time.

    Know this: I'm sure that there are many, many people in the LOTRO community who would happy to help you with anything that you need. I know that it's hard to ask, but if you need anything, please ask, and we'd all be happy to help you.

    My thoughts are with you and your children.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Alberos, I'm very sorry about what happened... And I also agree with Almazar, in that there isn't really a right thing to say. If you need anything in-game, at least, don't hesitate to ask.

    As for the podcast, I really enjoyed this one. I like the new look of the website much better than the old one, but it could still use some finishing touches.
    I liked the run-through of HoC, it really helps for those of us that would like to do more instances but are not sure what to do.
    You did mention that the next podcast might have something on the Dol Guldur instances. My hunter hit 65 in the last month and I haven't done any of those except for SH, over, and over, and over. I would really appreciate a run-through similar to what you did with HoC for all of those instances in Dol Guldur, and maybe some of the others in mirkwood.
    As for the new ''instance join'' stuff, I agree with you completely that while it will make people run more instances, it also takes away one of those core elements of the game, making it seem more like just a game than a real fantasy.

    Awoien, 65 Hunter, Arkenstone

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are back. Sending you and your family my best wishes :)

    Davoin of Elendilmir

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alberos,
    Please accept my deepest condolencies for the loss that you and your family have suffered. I'm a LOTRO player from the "other side of the pond" on the European Codemasters Laurelin server. I've listened to quite a few different podcasts and have to say that yours is one of the best. Your style is friendly and warm. You bring a sense of maturity and enthusiasm to your podcast. It is greatly appreciated. I have got so much more out of the game since listening to your podcasts. On behalf of the European LOTRO community I wish you very best wishes during this difficult time for you. Keep up the good work.

    Tobiadoc - Hobbit Minstrel - Laurelin Server - United Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alberos,

    You have my deepest and most sincere condolences. I am so sorry! I think it's very brave of you to continue share your loss and the cause spurred by it in addition to continuing your work here.

    You're a real asset to our community!

    I haven't taken the time to listen to cast yet but I'm sure it's great. Please let me know if you need any help with the site/podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to agree totally with Stephen's comments about the quality of the podcast...

    I've heard pretty much all of the LOTRO ones that are out. This is the best. There's lots of others but they focus on some 'inner circle of friends' thing and seem only to be a community gathering of each other patting themselves on the back all the time. There is little substance - little meat on the bones. But Lotrocast actually gives the serious player some hardcore information that really works.

    Sorry, but I really want to learn something with a podcast,and this is one of the few that actually does that. My gaming is better off because of it.

    My hat's off to you, Alberos!

    V

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

    Laerlenn, Elendilmir

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just noticed that there hasn't been an announcement of a Lotrocast episode since 2009 on the Fan Site forums at forums.lotro.com. Might be worth a mention as each episode is released....

    ReplyDelete
  18. My prayers are for you and your kids. I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

    ReplyDelete